Kasar Performs on Piano using Ableton Live
Dolphin Music on Jul 5, 2012
Kasar - En Automne - live at Emil Berliner Studios
Who says classical instruments and technology don’t mix?
Berlin based pianist and electronic producer Arnold Kasar proves that they do. With two handfuls of creativity, a colourful sprinkle of fusion and the right tools, it’s possible to create music that’s actually interesting and thought provoking, even with the absence of lyrics.
In the above video, Kasar performs the piece “En Automne”, by sampling from a piano into Ableton Live.
The entire performance unfolds in real time, with samples collected as he creates them.
The classically trained musician has just recently released his latest album The Piano Has Been Smoking, which features the popular track ‘Put A Light On Me’. For the new album, Kasar wished to let his creativity and instincts take control of the music, allowing his improve abilities to shine throughout the album.
“He is less influenced by short-lived musical trends than by hypnotic, dark arrangements, romantic Schubertian chords and, not least, by the repetitive power of early rave tracks and later minimalist techno.” - Fabrique Records
For his new album, Kasar approached the classical instrument in a more experimental way, sampling incidental percussion noises as well as traditional tonal sounds.
So, what type of music do we call this then?
“I would describe my music as film music, or to put it better, music for films that have not yet been made.”
… This is surely relatable to a lot of composers out there, particularly pianists.
Like we mentioned before, although creativity and inspiration are all well and good, a musician still needs the right tools.
Kasar performs using Ableton Live 8 Software, take a look at some of the things it can do.
Ableton Live is about making music! Be it for composition, songwriting, recording, production, remixing or live performance, if you’d rather be “making music” than just “using music software” then Ableton Live is the one for you.
- Multitrack recording up to 32-bit/192 kHz
- Nondestructive editing with unlimited undo
- Powerful and creative MIDI sequencing of software and hardware instruments
- Advanced warping and real-time time-stretching
- Supports AIFF, WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC files
- A comprehensive selection of built-in audio and MIDI effects
- Built-in instruments: Simpler for sample-based synthesis, Impulse for sampled drums
- Instrument, Drum and Effect Racks
- New groove engine; apply and extract grooves in real time
- VST and AU support; automatic plug-in delay compensation
- REX file support plus built-in audio to MIDI slicing
- Video import and export for scoring, video warping
- Simple MIDI mapping plus instant mapping for selected hardware
- Full ReWire support; runs as Slave or Master
- Single-screen user interface for simple, creativity-focused operation
- Multicore and multiprocessor support